There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Mount Island is the literary magazine for rural LGBTQ+ and POC voices. We publish a quarterly digital magazine, an annual print anthology, and special letterpress projects.
Updated 5/17/2021: We recently changed our publishing schedule and format from a digital quarterly to a print and digital annual. The first issue in this new format, Mount Island No. 8, will be released in the fall of 2021. We will announce new reading periods after that issue’s release.
See our submission categories for genre- and category-specific guidelines. The following applies generally to all submissions, so please read carefully:
- All submissions must be the original work of the author or artist. Excluding interviews and reviews, unsolicited submissions must be previously unpublished in English. Submissions of works translated into English must include a copy of the work in its original language and proof of translation rights.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. If your piece is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us and withdraw your submission promptly.
- Do not send multiple submissions at once. Please wait until we have responded with our decision before submitting again.
- In your cover letter, please include your contact information and a brief bio.
We aim to respond to submissions within three to six months, but with limited means there may be occasional delays. We are grateful for your patience.
To focus on our mission of supporting rural LGBTQ+ and POC voices, most of our submission categories are open only to folks who identify as LGBTQ+ and/or POC and who currently live in or hail from a rural area. We do welcome "allies" who do not identify as LGBTQ+/POC/rural to submit in certain categories, such as interviews, reviews, blog articles, etc. When such categories are open for "ally submissions", they will be labeled clearly.
Honoraria & Contributor Rights
- We acquire first serial rights worldwide in English and non-exclusive anthology rights. For interviews, reviews, and art, we acquire non-exclusive reprint rights. We ask all contributors to sign a standard publishing agreement detailing rights in full.
- For publication in our annual print and digital magazine, all contributors receive a $50 honorarium and two print copies of their issue.
- For blog content, we currently offer a $10 honorarium.