Mount Island is the literary magazine for rural LGBTQ+ and POC voices. We publish a quarterly digital magazine, an annual print anthology, and special letterpress projects.
- Digital Magazine: Year-round
- Print Anthology: November 1 — March 31
See our submission categories for genre- and category-specific guidelines. The following applies generally to all submissions, so please read carefully:
- All submissions must be the original work of the author or artist. Excluding interviews and reviews, unsolicited submissions must be previously unpublished in English. Submissions of works translated into English must include a copy of the work in its original language and proof of translation rights.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. If your piece is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us and withdraw your submission promptly.
- Do not send multiple submissions at once. Please wait until we have responded with our decision before submitting again.
- In your cover letter, please include your contact information and a brief bio.
We aim to respond to submissions within three to six months, but with limited means there may be occasional delays. We are grateful for your patience.
To focus on our mission of supporting rural LGBTQ+ and POC voices, most of our submission categories are open only to folks who identify as LGBTQ+ and/or POC and who currently live in or hail from a rural area. We do welcome "allies" who do not identify as LGBTQ+/POC/rural to submit in certain categories, such as interviews, reviews, blog articles, etc. When such categories are open for "ally submissions", they will be labeled clearly.
Honoraria & Contributor Rights
- We acquire first serial rights worldwide in English and non-exclusive anthology rights. For interviews, reviews, and art, we acquire non-exclusive reprint rights. We ask all contributors to sign a standard publishing agreement detailing rights in full.
- For publication in the digital magazine, writers are paid a $20 honorarium, and visual artists are paid $50. All digital magazine contributors also receive a 1-year subscription.
- For publication in our annual print anthology, writers are paid $50 plus $10 per page, and visual artists are paid $150. All anthology contributors also receive a copy of the anthology in which their work appears, and a 1-year subscription to our digital magazine.
- For blog content, we currently offer a $10 honorarium.
Fiction & Essays
- Submissions must be no more than 5000 words, whether a single piece or multiple flash pieces.
- Flash pieces should be no more than 1000 words. For multiple flash pieces, submit them as one document with page breaks between each piece.
- We welcome all genres and styles.
- Submit 3 to 5 poems at once, totaling no more than 10 pages, and include all poems in a single document with page breaks between each piece.
- Our digital magazine features one visual artist per issue, publishing their work as both cover and interior art. You may not submit artwork via Submittable; please direct art submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. See full guidelines for art submissions on our website.